BOARD EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Chair â€“ Peter Kostiw
Vice Chair â€“ Greg Tink
Past Chair – Cathy Bissell
Treasurer â€“Marsha Stuart
Secretary -Â Erin Golisky
Dr. Kim Powell
Chair of Fundraising Committee – Greg Tink
Board of Directors, Ontario Early Years Centre – Simcoe North
The Board of Directors of the Ontario Early Years Centre â€“ Simcoe North
is a legal entity authorized by the membership of the corporation and held
accountable for the overall performance of the organization.
Board members hold a fiduciary duty to act in the best interest of the organization
and hold a position of stewardship or â€śpublic trustâ€ť.
The key functions of the Board of Directors are as follows:
- Overall Direction:
Establish the mission, values and overall direction of the organization.
- Policy Development:
Ensure the formulation and implementation of policy to guide the actions of the
- Oversight and Monitoring:
Provide oversight by monitoring legal compliance, financial stability and
viability, quality and performance as well as managing risk.
- Performance Management:
Ensure the health of the organization through the performance management of the
board and the Executive Director.
- Â Awareness and advocacy:
Promote the needs of the people served by the organization and confirm the identity of the
organization in the community.
Â Responsibilities of individual Board members:
- Attend Board meetings on a regular basis. Notify the Chair if unable to attend.
- Be aware of the business to be discussed by reviewing agendas and distributed
materials in advance of each meeting.
- Respect and listen to the opinions of other Board members.
- Prticipate in discussions on a consistent basis.
- Participate actively to achieve the desired initiatives or commitments of the Board.
- Respect the role and function of the governance structure as a vehicle of accomplishing
- Abide by and support the decisions of the Board. In instances where a Board member strongly
opposes to the decisions of the Board, the Board member may wish to formally
record her/his opposition in the minutes of the Board meeting.
- Complete any tasks or assignments she/he accepts at Board meetings or from the Chair on
behalf of the Board.
- Inform the board and/or Executive Director of any issues or public comments of which a
Board member is aware that might have an adverse affect on the organization.
- Maintain confidentiality as warranted and as defined by the Board.
- Participate in the development of the organizationâ€™s Strategic Plan.
- Discuss and prepare necessary bylaw amendments.
- Approve appropriate compensation and benefits policies and practices.
- Determine and approve the eligibility of candidates for the nomination of Officers and
Directors as submitted by the Nominating Chair.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting of the organization.
- Participate in reviews of the performance of the Board of Directors.
- Support of, and as appropriate participation in, the organizationâ€™s fundraising events
- Participate in ongoing Board development activities.
- Provide ongoing support for the Executive Director in her/his role as she/he makes
decisions on behalf of the organization.